History of Tobacco
- Tobacco refer to a genus of broad leafed plants of the night shade family indigenous to north & South America, or to the dried & cured leaves of such plants
- 21 species of tobacco exist
- It has a history of about 8000 years
- Europeans were introduced to tobacco in 1492
- Portuguese traders introduced tobacco in India during 1600
Key Facts & Figures of Tobacco-World
- 2nd major cause of death worldwide
- 1out of 10 adults today die because of tobacco
- 50 lacs (5 million) of people die every year worldwide because of tobacco
Key Facts & Figures of Tobacco-India
- India is worlds 3rd largest producer of tobacco
- 10 lacs (1 million) of people die every year
- In India, 5 million children under the age of 15 are addicted to tobacco
Types and contents of tobacco
Smoked forms of tobacco:
Bidies, Cigarettes, Cheroots, Dhumti pipe, hooklis, Chillum, Hookah
Smokeless forms of tobacco:
Tobacco, areca nut and slaked lime preparations, Manipuri tobacco, Mawa, Khaini, chewing tobacco, snus, gutkha, masheri
- Tobacco smoke contains 4000 chemicals
- Out of these 43 chemicals are Cancerous
- Nicotine is the only substance which produces addiction
- Polonium 210, Nitrosamines, Cadmium, lead, tar, Carbon monoxide are also some of the other contents of tobacco
Effects of tobacco
- Tobacco leads to many cancers at many sites like lungs, mouth, larynx, stomach, urinary bladder, gall bladder.
- Carbon monoxide which contains in tobacco affects the electrical activity of the heart.
- A pregnant woman exposed to ETS has increase chance of abortion, foetal death & delivery of low birth weight baby.
- Babies born to smoking moms have low weight at birth. Some may die!
- 50% of all cancers in man & 25% of all cancers in woman are due to tobacco use.
- 90% of lung cancer deaths are caused due to smoking
- 1/3rd of all cancers in India are tobacco related.
Benefits of quitting Tobacco
- 20 mins: - BP & pulse rate drops to normal.
- 8 hrs : - Oxygen level increases to normal & carbon monoxide level drops in blood.
- 24 hrs: - chance for heart attack goes down.
- 48 hrs: - Ability to smell & taste improves.
- 1 month to 9months: - Coughing, shortness of breath have decreased dramatically.
- 1 year: - Risk of coronary heart disease is reducing in half.
- 10 years:-Risk of dying from lung cancer is cut in half.
- 15 years: - Risk for coronary heart disease & stroke is the save as for life long non-smoker.
- Takes place in the stomach
- 20% directly into the bloodstream
- 80% from small intestine into blood
- The blood alcohol travels to all parts of the body
Absorption is influenced by
- Number of drinks
- Strength of alcoholic beverage
- Other beverages mixed in
- Water and juices slow absorption
- Carbonated drinks increase BAC (blood alcohol concentration)
- Food -fats, proteins
- Emotional factors fear, jealousy, anger, stress
- Blood chemistry
Effects of alcohol
- Cardiac diseases
- Skin diseases
- As well as a number of other irreversible neurological and psychological health conditions
Tips to help you quit from tobacco and alcohol
- Don’t let alcohol, cigarettes, pan, gutkha & jarda be easily available.
- When you feel like taking tobacco, think of your children & the effects on their future.
- Maintain healthy balanced diet
- Regular exercise
- Raja yoga meditation helps you very much to quit tobacco & alcohol
Role of Rajyoga Meditation
- Gives a clean environment
- Increases tolerance power
- Experience of bliss
- Increase will power
- Healthy & satvik diet
- Experience of peaceful life
- Experience of Stress free life
- Not only quitting from tobacco, you can quit from all the diseases like heart attack, diabetes, etc…through raja yoga meditation.